Unresolved Tax Issues

irs.gov -

Unresolved Tax Issues

If you have attempted to deal with an IRS problem unsuccessfully, you should contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). The Taxpayer Advocate independently represents the estate's or trust's interests and concerns within the IRS by protecting its rights and resolving problems that have not been fixed through normal channels.

While Taxpayer Advocates cannot change the tax law or make a technical tax decision, they can clear up problems that resulted from previous contacts and ensure that the estate's or trust's case is given a complete and impartial review.

The estate's or trust's assigned personal advocate will listen to its point of view and will work with the estate or trust to address its concerns. The estate or trust can expect the advocate to provide:

  • An impartial and independent look at your problem,

  • Timely acknowledgment,

  • The name and phone number of the individual assigned to its case,

  • Updates on progress,

  • Timeframes for action,

  • Speedy resolution, and

  • Courteous service.

When contacting the Taxpayer Advocate, you should provide the following information:

  • The estate's or trust's name, address, and employer identification number (EIN).

  • The name and telephone number of an authorized contact person and the hours he or she can be reached.

  • The type of tax return and year(s) involved.

  • A detailed description of the problem.

  • Previous attempts to solve the problem and the office that had been contacted.

  • A description of the hardship the estate or trust is facing and supporting documentation (if applicable).

You can contact a Taxpayer Advocate as follows:

  • Call the Taxpayer Advocate's toll-free number: 1-877-777-4778.

  • Call, write, or fax the Taxpayer Advocate office in its area (see Pub. 1546, Taxpayer Advocate Service, Your Voice At The IRS, for addresses and phone numbers).

  • TTY/TDD help is available by calling 1-800-829-4059.

  • Visit the website at www.irs.gov/advocate.