Question 4 -

Question 4

The estate or trust may be required to file Form 3520, Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts, if:

  • It directly or indirectly transferred property or money to a foreign trust. For this purpose, any U.S. person who created a foreign trust is considered a transferor;

  • It is treated as the owner of any part of the assets of a foreign trust under the grantor trust rules; or

  • It received a distribution from a foreign trust.

    An owner of a foreign trust must ensure that the trust files an annual information return on Form 3520-A, Annual Information Return of Foreign Trust With a U.S. Owner.